Here’s the toy and merchandise roundup for May 2015 to help you catch up to speed with what you’ve missed in the past month. It compiles the latest major announcements and developments related to Star Wars toys and other products.
New Releases and Announcements
If you haven’t already done it, mark your calendars! Star Wars: The Force Awakens toys and merchandise will hit shelves on September 4, 2015, at 12:01 a.m. Also known as “Force Friday“, various stores will be opening their doors at midnight for a grand celebration of this new age of Star Wars. From toys and collectibles to a diverse range of products, such as books and comics, eBooks and apps as well as stylish apparel and accessories, will be available starting at midnight on September 4. Fans are encouraged to share their experiences through social media using hashtags #ForceFriday and #MidnightMadness.
Enter for a chance to win the Star Wars Midnight Madness VIP Shopping Spree. Winners will win a trip to Toys “R” Us Time Square for an exclusive first access and much more.
Scheduled to arrive in 2016 is Hasbro‘s The Black Series Ahsoka Tano 6-inch action figure. Originally unveiled at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim, the figure received an overwhelmingly positive response from the fanbase. I briefly looked at a list of the existing 6-inch figures and it looks like this will be the first time a character outside of the original and prequel trilogies will be included in the 6-inch line!
Her Star Wars Rebels 3.75-inch figure was recently revealed alongside Darth Vader and that will be available later this fall.
Visit RebelScum.com for a hi-res gallery of Ahsoka’s figure.
Along with the other exciting products coming out later this year, be sure to add the Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition Starter Pack to the list. Priced at $64.99, it will be available this fall and there will be three Star Wars Play Sets: one set takes place in Episodes I-III (Twilight of the Republic), the second set moves through Episodes IV-VI (Rise Against the Empire), and the third focuses on Star Wars: The Force Awakens (the third stage will come out in the winter). Discover more details at Forbes and find close-ups of the figures over at Collector’s Cantina. (via StarWars.com)
“Utinni!” Sideshow Collectibles recently revealed the Jawa Sixth Scale Figure Set. Pre-ordering will be available in the near future. Fans at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim got the opportunity to see the figures in person. Find some pictures of the set here.
Peter Mayhew wished fans a happy Star Wars Day, and with the help of Hasbro, unveiled the new and upcoming Electronic Chewbacca Mask. “We look forward to sharing more details on Hasbro’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens toy line with you in the future. In the meantime, please enjoy this Star Wars Day surprise from our friend Peter Mayhew as we start the countdown to #ForceFriday.”
- Funko announced a new Classic POP! Star Wars series coming in July! The initial preview includes Luke Skywalker (#49), Princess Leia as Boushh (#50), TIE Fighter Pilot (#51), Nalan Cheel (#52), and Bib Fortuna (#53). Find the previews over at the Funko blog.
- Hot Wheels also announced a new Star Wars Wicket character vehicle, “You won’t want to ignore this contemptible little fur-ball! Hailing from the forest moon of Endor, the Star Wars Wicket character car will be headed to a store near you later this year.”
- Four new LEGO Star Wars large scale, buildable figures were announced at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim: Obi-Wan Kenobi, General Grievous, Jango Fett and Clone Commander Cody. The Wall Street Journal revealed a preview of Obi-Wan and Grievous last month.
- Gus Lopez and Duncan Jenkins announced their fourth book, entitled Gus and Duncan’s Guide To Star Wars Micro Collection Toys. Find a preview of it here. (via YakFace.com)
- Make sure to pick up a copy of LEGO Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded and the Proto Fett minifigure, which was released April 28, 2015.
WeLoveFine launched a brand new Star Wars collection designed by Goldie for women. Designed by Goldie, the line has a variety of styles for either the casual fan or the hardcore fangirl. “Headed up through WeLoveFine.com by Sara Scargall, the Goldie line seeks to merge the passion and excitement of pop culture brands and characters with trendsetting, contemporary chic looks for the girl looking to make a statement with her fandom. Fan-bulous and exciting clothing for ladies in this world or any other.” (via The Daily Dot)
As seen on the left, new Her Universe designs are now exclusively available at Walt Disney World and Disneyland. With Star Wars Weekends 2015 just around the corner, Ashley also revealed the new Sabine Wren Costume Tunic for adults. See Ashley model the top over at her Instagram. On the far right, Nathan Hamill designed a new logo tank for Her Universe. Priced at $28, find it over at HerUniverse.com along with the rest of the brand new collection that originally debuted at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim.
Here’s a collection of Hasbro interviews. Although there will be an exclusive at San Diego Comic-Con, Hasbro representatives were unable to comment on what the exclusive will be and when it would be revealed. Read more about what they had to say about various other aspects of Hasbro products down below:
- Shartimus Prime [Video]
- StarWars.com [Video]
- Super Awesome Geek Show [Audio]
- The Wolfpack Podcast [Video]
Other interviews include:
- Toy Hype USA with JAKKS Pacific
- Rebels Report with Topps [Audio]
- Super Awesome Geek Show with Gentle Giant LTD. [Audio]
- Super Awesome Geek Show with JAKKS Pacific
- Super Awesome Geek Show with LEGO [Audio]
- Super Awesome Geek Show with Topps [Audio]
- R5-D4 Sixth Scale Figure by Sideshow Collectibles: “Slightly larger than his more famous successor R2-D2, Sideshow’s R5-D4 Sixth Scale Figure measures roughly 8.6 inches tall from antenna to treads. Appearing just as Uncle Owen purchased him from the Jawas on Tatooine, every detail of the R5 unit is faithfully replicated, from his desert-worn deco to advanced articulation.”
- Spacetrooper Sixth Scale Figure by Hot Toys: “The highly-accurate collectible figure is specially crafted based on the image of the Spacetrooper in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. This specialized trooper features a beautifully crafted armor and helmet, a highly detailed Spacetrooper rebreather pack with detachable parts, two types of blasters, and a specially designed figure stand.”
- “Tomorrow Kings” Stormtrooper by ThreeA Toys: “Among the items up for pre-order now are two Stormtroopers, re-envisioned as Tomorrow Kings in the 1/6 scale. They have helmets and blasters reminiscent of Star Wars, but the rest has got the unmistakable 3A style.”
- Classic Trilogy Imperial Stormtrooper from ANOVOS: “Utilizing various references made available to ANOVOS, including those from private collections and Lucasfilm archives, our development team created unique sculpts for each piece. Each sculpt was carefully studied with efforts to either improve or maintain certain key features. Carefully balancing the respect for original Classic Stormtrooper lineage with the need for a wearable costume ensemble, ANOVOS is pleased to present this costume suitable for your trooping needs.”
- Star Wars Headphones Second Edition by SMS Audio: “Choose from R2-D2, Chewbacca, Tie Fighter, and Darth Vader. Or collect all four! These On-Ear Wired headphones are sleek, ultra-durable and comfortable. The professionally tuned 40mm drivers deliver amazing clarity and richness without distortion, for the same great sound as our other headphones. Shipping May 18th – 24th.”
- Star Wars Summer 2015 Sets by LEGO: “Amazon has five of the upcoming LEGO Star Wars Summer 2015 sets available for pre-order. Order now and the sets will ship on or before June 1st, 2015.” (via neoape)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blanket from Toys ‘R’ Us: The 62″ x 90″ blanket features the new Episode VII stormtrooper, First Order symbol, and villain Kylo Ren. The item is scheduled to ship on September 4, 2015. (via YakFace.com)
- R2-L3 Astromech Droid, a Funko POP! Vinyl Exclusive from DorksideToys: “Funko’s fan-favorite POP! Vinyl Figures take some of pop culture’s most recognizable and popular characters and turns them into stylish 3 3/4” tall vinyl figures. The character R2-L3 was an R2-series astromech droid from Attack of the Clones and can been seen in Mos Espa.”
- Topps Star Wars: Journey to the Force Awakens 24-Pack from DorksideToys: Mixing in classic and new content, the Topps Star Wars: Journey To The Force Awakens will appease fans of all ages. Visit DorksideToys for additional information.
- Also available for pre-order is the Star Wars Snowtrooper Two-Pack ARTFX+ Statue from Kotobukiya.
E.V. Kwun created a custom design of Hera Syndulla on a pair of shoes for Star Wars Day. In case you wanted to tackle your own show design, he used multi-surface acrylic paint, such as Liquidex or Martha Stewart Crafts. Darth Daddy also created a custom Sabine Wren figure that is more accurate and articulated than the original Hasbro figure.
This custom Ahsoka Tano POP! vinyl figure created by @lemonadehoney over at Instagram is one of my favorite fan creations. She’s armed with two lightsabers, one of which is in a reverse grip position. Finally, Asis Film Models created an absolutely perfect and accurate BB-8 figure.Powered by Sidelines