What have we learned from J.J. Abrams on The Force Awakens? Young Han Solo movie is “unexpected” and dramatic,” Rogue One in Gillette ads, Episode VIII costumes, fangirl guest Tricia Barr, plus so much more! All on this week’s episode of the STAR WARS REPORT!
Star Wars Report is available on iTunes! Be sure to subscribe, rate and review!
You can show your support of the Star Wars Report podcast by becoming a Patron at www.patreon.com/starwarsreport Get all kinds of exclusive bonus content for our patron supporters!
Thanks to our sponsors this week:
- Geek Fuel! A mystery box is hipped to geeks and gamers each month that has at least $50 worth of value for around $15 + S&H. Every box has an exclusive t-shirt, a full downloadable game, and a total of 5-7 geeky items. Free bonus item in their first box (at least $10 value) https://www.geekfuel.com/starwarsreport
- EntertainArt! Get officially licensed ready-to-hang wall art – Star Wars + more! Go to http://www.starwarsreport.com/art and enter the discount code: “SWR20″ for 20% off your purchase!
- Caseable! Get handcrafted cases for all your mobile devices including some amazing Star Wars designs! Go to http://www.starwarsreport.com/caseable and use discount code “SWR10” for 10% off your purchase!
Hosts: Riley Blanton and Bruce Gibson
Guest: Tricia Barr
This week’s topics include:
- J.J. Abrams Blu-ray commentary highlights!
- Collider post: “Cinematographer Bradford Young Teases ‘Unexpected’ and ‘Dramatic’ Young Han Solo Movie”
- Bradford Young: “These cats are subversive, don’t let it fool you (laughs). They are prepared to say exactly what they wanna say and it’s complex, it’s layered, it’s smart, it’s visual, it’s dramatic, it’s funny, it’s uneasy, it’s unexpected. These cats are—I’m honored to have them in the list of directors I’ve worked with, that’s for sure.”
- Exclusive Rogue One footage on Thurs. Nov. 24 on ABC (official ABC tweet with promo)
- Gillette: Every Story Has a Face
- “Every Story Has a Face. A Rebel soldier’s battle begins not on the frontlines, but in the quiet moments of reflection before the alarm is sounded. When you need to be your best, get ready with Gillette. Learn more about Gillette and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”
- Full version promo (YouTube)
- Listener emails!
Tricia Barr Interview:
- New York Times article: “How Female Fans Made ‘Star Wars’ Their Own” (Nov. 3)
- “On Twitter, Johnamarie Macias, the proprietor of the popular “Star Wars” site ‘The Wookiee Gunner,’ lamented that the franchise remained stuck on its daddy issues instead of exploring a mother-daughter dynamic. ‘Super happy that Jyn is the lead,’ she wrote, but added: ‘Why does the father have to be the scientist? GAH!’ And on the podcast ‘Fangirls Going Rogue,’ the three hosts discussed the role of Jyn’s mother with guarded enthusiasm. ‘Mothers tend to get erased, or they’re there to die,’ the co-host Tricia Barr said. ‘Hopefully we’re not continuing that trend.’ ”
- Bruce: Bruce’s daughter’s Rey costume
- Tricia: Working with actors/writers
- Riley: Star Wars Tonight relaunch
Mild Episode VIII spoilers below…
Download the mp3 HERE!: (Right-click and “save as”)
Also, for exclusive updates and content, be sure to subscribe to our mailing list!
Be sure to jump below to subscribe to the show.
Stop here to avoid spoilers!!!
- SPOILER/RUMOR: “An Accurate Depiction of Luke Skywalker’s Costume in Episode VIII” (makingstarwars.net)
- “We were able to get Lumberjack Nick to do an accurate representation of Luke Skywalker’s Star Wars: Episode VIII costume. This depiction is from a training sequence where Rey is frustrated with Luke’s teachings. Nick decided to go with the mechanical look of the hand because we couldn’t tell if Luke had a robotic hand or the black glove in this sequence. He also didn’t appear to have a lightsaber at all but was holding either a thin spear, thin walking stick or a piece of junk so we gave him a placeholder object for his hand in the picture. The point of the photo is that you can see what the design is for Luke’s costume used in those rainy sequences between Skywalker and Rey. Rey’s costume is also accurate:”
- “In the film, the costume is apparently just filthy most of the time. Skywalker is more like Yoda on Dagobah in terms of style than the white regal costume he wore to meet Rey at the end of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This costume gets a lot dirtier in the film than the cartoon depiction by Lumberjack Nick. You will also notice there isn’t really any belt or anything for his lightsaber.”
- SPOILER/RUMOR: Kylo Ren may be wearing Darth Vader’s cape (makingstarwars.com)
- “According to sources, Kylo Ren is wearing a Darth Vader cape in Star Wars: Episode VIII. The cape is said to be like the one Darth Vader wears in The Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi. However, the cape does not have the same chain clasp. It is not entirely clear if this cape is one Kylo made to resemble that of his grandfather’s or if he actually procured one of Darth Vader’s capes that probably fell into the hands of collectors in the Star Wars galaxy.”“In the film, the costume is apparently just filthy most of the time. Skywalker is more like Yoda on Dagobah in terms of style than the white regal costume he wore to meet Rey at the end of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This costume gets a lot dirtier in the film than the cartoon depiction by Lumberjack Nick. You will also notice there isn’t really any belt or anything for his lightsaber.”