Happy Star Wars Day! The latest Women in Star Wars continues to shine a spotlight on female fans and their contributions to the Star Wars community.
First, happy belated birthday to Star Wars fangirl Bethany Blanton! She celebrated her birthday during Star Wars Celebration, and by browsing through her Instagram, it looks like she had a fantastic time!
Every last Friday of the month, transmedia author and scholar Natacha Guyot discusses all things science fiction with various talented women in a monthly feature called #SciFi Women Interviews. She kicked off the series with (me!) Star Wars fangirl Johnamarie Macias, and in April, Natacha interviewed science fiction writer and poet Yolanda I. Washington.
Congratulations to journalist Megan Crouse! She joined the Suvudu and Del Rey family as the new writer of the Holonet Digest series. You can read her roundups of Star Wars news over at Suvudu.com.
Fans from around the world came together last month at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim. Here’s a rundown of fangirl highlights from the convention:
- Kathleen Kennedy wore a Her Universe shirt during her first appearance at Celebration. Hear more about Ashley Eckstein‘s reaction to it during a press conference interview. Also, check out this StarWars.com interview with Kathleen Kennedy herself.
- Other talented ladies interviewed at Celebration include production leads Athena Portillo and Liz Marshall. Find the 5-minute video here.
- Participating in a Her Universe Fashion Show, Savanna Kiefer‘s longtime boyfriend proposed to her in the cutest way possible. Watch it unfold in this StarWars.com video.
- Jenn Fujikawa wrote up a detailed account of Ahsoka Lives Day over at the Nerdist.com.
- For those who missed out on the “Rebels Women Who Fought The Clone Wars” panel, find the audio over at The Wookiee Gunner and a write-up over at FANgirl Blog.
- Find out what items and cupcakes were on sale at the Her Universe booth.
- IGN interviewed Star Wars Rebels actors Vanessa Marshall and Tiya Sircar about the upcoming second season. You can also catch Vanessa and Tiya in a red carpet interview with TheForce.net. AfterBuzz TV also interviewed Tiya and Ashley Eckstein. Finally, StarWars.com sat down and talked with Carrie Fisher.
- Roqoo Depot interviewed Dark Disciple author Christie Golden.
- Lillian Skye interviewed Dave Filoni.
- Vanessa Marshall was inducted into the 501st Legion and became an honorary member of the Rebel Legion along with Tiya and the rest of the cast.
Fangirls, add this to your future shopping lists! Hasbro revealed The Black Series Ahsoka Tano 6-inch action figure at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim. The figure is expected to arrive in 2016.
Scott Murray wrote about the fangirl presence at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim over at Coffee With Kenobi in a piece called, “The Fangirl Impact on Star Wars Celebration“.
April was also a big month for FANgirl Blog’s Tricia Barr. She revamped her personal site over at TriciaBarr.com. At Star Wars Celebration Anaheim, Tricia moderated a panel with a variety of Star Wars fans, known as From a Certain Point of View: A Diversity of Opinions in Star Wars. Tricia is also the co-author of the latest reference book, Ultimate Star Wars, and she will be on a book tour around the country. Check out the DK tour schedule over at FANgirl Blog for additional details.
FANgirl Blog is also a fantastic source of the latest fangirl news in the Star Wars community. Check out April’s Daisy Ridley Roundup to learn more about The Force Awakens actress and her character as well as last month’s Fangirls Around the Web to read up on female fan spotlights.
Fangirls in Podcasts
Here’s a collection of podcasts featuring fangirl hosts, co-hosts, and guests:
Fangirls Going Rogue with fangirl hosts Teresa Delgado, Tricia Barr, and Sarah Woloski
April episode(s): Fangirls Going Rogue #18 (special guest Ashley Eckstein), Fangirls Going Rogue: Star Wars Celebration
Hyperspace Theories with fangirl co-hosts Tricia Barr and Kay
April episodes(s): Episode 8: Star Wars Rebels, Pre-Celebration Show, Star Wars Celebration Anaheim Day One Coverage Read, Star Wars Celebration Anaheim 2015 Recap
Mos Eisley Comic Port with fangirl host Catrina Dennis
April episode(s): Kanan #1 – Episode 002 (special guest Johnamarie Macias), Darth Vader #4 – Episode 003 (special guest Elaine Tveit), Star Wars #4 – Episode 004 (special guest Amanda Ward)
Fangirls in Writing
Here’s a collection of links to articles written by fangirls in April:
- 6 Thing You Can Learn From Hera Syndulla by Amy Ratcliffe
- #AtoZChallenge: Women and Her Universe by PattyBones (Check out the rest of her Star Wars themed #AtoZChallenge)
- Collaborative Continuity: The Fan’s Place by Rocky Blonshine
- Cosplay Boom explores the tight-knit world of ‘Star Wars’ cosplayers by Lisa Granshaw
- Free Comic Book Day 2015 by Becca Benjamin
- Geek Girl Life: I Found My Lack of Star Wars Disturbing by Victoria B.
- How ‘The Clone Wars’ helped me appreciate Anakin Skywalker again by Geek Girl Diva
- How the Clone Wars microseries led the way for Star Wars‘ return to TV by Lisa Granshaw
- How the Star Wars Fandom Survived Decades in the Dark by Catrina Dennis
- Leia Takes Celebration by Bria
- Marvel and Del Rey at Celebration by Bria
- Melinda’s Brew: The ABCs of Star Wars (3) by Melinda Wolf
- My Celebration Anaheim Experience by Savanna Kiefer
- My Star Wars Engagement by Savanna Kiefer
- Paging the Next Generation by Rocky Blonshine
- Rebels Day at Celebration by Bria
- Savannah & Eric: A Star Wars Celebration Marriage Proposal by Elaine Tveit
- Star Wars Celebration Kids Cosplay is Impressive, Most Impressive by Jenn Fujikawa
- Star Wars, Her Universe, Fashion, and Celebration by Bria
- Star Wars Rebels Executive Producer Dave Filoni Discusses Season 1 and What’s Ahead by Amy Ratcliffe
- Star Wars Rebels Press Conference by Kelly
- WeLoveFine’s new ‘Star Wars’ line by Lisa Granshaw
- Why You Need to Catch Up on Star Wars Rebels Right Now by Catrina Dennis
Fangirls in Arts/Crafts
- Countdown to May the 4th: Bantha Rug by Blondsaurus
- Geek It Yourself: Chewie, We’re Home by Blondsaurus
- Rebel Yell: Puffer Pig Balloons and Lando Party Hats by Blondsaurus
- Weekend Projects by Savanna Kiefer
- New Cosplay for Jedi products by Alison Berrios over at Etsy
Read up on the latest fan comics:
- Star Wars Destinies by lledra
- Contrasts by Gizzle
- Death of a Jedi by Kablob (focuses on female characters)
A selection of art and crafts made by fangirls in/around April:
May the Fourth be with you!