Like its predecessor, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels has continued to improve in quality and storytelling.
‘Rebels’ is accelerating at a faster pace than ever. Ezra continues his advancement in training with Kanan, and the crew of the Ghost face ever increasing imperial threats as the Rebellion against the empire begins to take shape.
This Tuesday, the second season of Star Wars Rebels is released on Blu-ray.
Season 2 does a remarkable job of Bridging the gap stylistically between the prequel era and the original trilogy. As a longtime Clone Wars fan, my personal favorite episode arcs are the ones that feel the most like sequels to some of the Clone Wars story lines.
Specifically, the return of Ahsoka and Captain Rex to the world of Star Wars television makes for a surprisingly smooth addition to the rebels universe. Star Wars Rebels continues to sparsely use major film characters – I believe – in order to take the time to get to know the crew of the Ghost. However, when the greatest villain in cinema history is introduced, Darth Vader is definitely in top form and the series does him justice. This is no small feat.
In short, with the exception of the theatrical films, Star Wars Rebels is the absolute best storytelling of the franchise. If you’re not watching it, you’re missing out.
As for the Blu-ray…
- Amazing picture and sound quality
- Great episodic SW stories – Worth buying for “The Siege of Lothal” and “Twilight of the Apprentice” alone
- The best bonus content is “From Apprentice To Adversary” where Dave Filoni gives his insights on the amazing finale
- Very limited exclusive bonus content.
- Admittedly, the inclusion of “Rebels Recon” is cool for those who didn’t follow along on the Star Wars YouTube channel.
- However, the remainder of the bonus content is limited to a Dave Filoni interview (From Apprentice To Adversary) and “Connecting The Galaxy” which simply highlights some fun easter eggs means that the total “new” content is limited to about 10 minutes.
Final verdict – recommended for:
- Fans who are want all the exclusive bonus content they can get their hands on
- Fans who want a complete collection of Star Wars home video
- Fans who have not had a chance to see Rebels season 2 yet, this is the best format to do it
Not recommended for:
- Those who only want to watch the season as it airs on television
- Fans who are not interested in physical collection or the limited exclusive content
As for me, I’m very glad to have a “fine addition to my collection.”
We are grateful to Lucasfilm for providing us with a review copy. Should you consider purchasing The Rebels Season 2 Blu-ray, please Jump through our affiliate link – Thanks!
Thanks for stopping by!
-Riley Blanton – Editor in Chief – starwarsreport.comPowered by Sidelines